Sunday, February 7, 2016

Interviewing Customers No. 2

This time around I found that I should really consider the service part of my venture as key criteria for my business that would set me apart and attract customers. I want to provide a service that benefits the families wanting to find a home that fits their budget (taking into account all costs associated with owning and renting).

I believe my customer is anyone looking to rent or buy a home, therefore, the individuals I interviewed for both exercises would fit my customer base.

My interview questions started with challenges of home buying, but I found this time a common theme surrounding services from a Realtor was key to successful home searches.

I still hold strong that I cannot go into this with a set of questions, even though I did have them typed up. I found allowing the customer to mention their pros and cons of the home buying/renting process was much more telling as a prospective entrepreneur. After all, the goal is to cater as much as possible to the largest need and I cannot dictate that, the customer must.

I do need to work on the "ummms". Way too many from me.

I appreciate any feedback to improve the next go round.
















Few Tips for students next semester
1. Ask opened ended questions to ensure you are pursuing the right customer and venture
2. Empathizing and repeating what the customer said to let them know they are being heard I believe allowed a comfort level and the customer wanting to go into more detail.
3. Nerves are common, but don't let that stop you from diving into this experience. Keep in mind the customer has a level of nervousness to because they are being recorded, but after a while no is paying attention to the camera.
4. I suggest talking someone into going with you to record or using a tripod. I think the interaction and eye contact with the customer is key

5 comments:

  1. Sonja, your opportunity in my opinion seems like the job of a real estate broker or sales associate. I understand how you want to reach out to customers so they have a better experience buying a home, but I feel like it would be the same either way if they went through you or a broker. Buying a home or renting is usually stressful for a family working with a budget. Your tips are very great and I definitely think recording with a friend is helpful and would ease nerves.

    Check out my post here: http://andrewdales.blogspot.com/2016/02/interviewing-customers-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the feedback. Similar, but not exactly the same Andrew. Most brokers only focus on getting a sale, my company would cater to the working lower income and middle class family wanting to establish roots, but navigating the process alone. We will help every step of the way and take some of the stress off of them while also showing them options for customer built homes within their budget (including total costs of owning and renting a home).

      Delete
  2. Sonja,
    These are great videos! Way to put yourself out there. Keep up the great work!

    -Olivia, Your ENT3003 TA Mentor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your review and feedback Olivia. It is very much the booster needed. This has really stretched me from my "comfort" zone.

      Delete
  3. Hey Sonja!
    I feel your opportunity idea is a great one! Your tips are very inspiring and definitely grab the customers attention with the way you speak to them! its great that you put yourself out there as well because I would definitely be more willing to buy from you rather than a broker! Keep up the good work!
    Check out my post on blogspot at: http://alexabernie.blogspot.com/2016/02/customer-interview-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete