Saturday, January 16, 2016

Week 2 Reading Reflection

As I read this week's reading requirement, we were asked to reflect upon what exactly we read and respond to certain questions as well as anything else we wanted to point out.

My biggest surprise in this reading was finding out there is a distinct difference with the terms small business versus entrepreneur. I always looked at them as the same or interchangeable. In reading the text, the author's contention is the difference is that a small business owner is happy with where they are (content). The small business owner is not looking to grow their business nor look to impact any community outside of where they are located.

One of the confusing parts for me was with regards to the author(s) stance of or definition of  a fundamental skill of building a solid business plan, but in figure 1.2 reflecting the entrepreneurial intensity, it clearly reflects this intensity can occur in both the independent start-up and within a large corporation. I conceived from early in the chapter the definition is to only include individuals starting their own businesses. In my opinion, this would contradict the definition they provided for entrepreneurship. Please note, that I have always thought of entrepreneurs in a more general term., but the chapter's early defintion would lead me to believe the author belief contrary to my own.

I think the author is wrong regarding one of the fundamental skills defined in entrepreneurship. I would agree with all terms with the exception of a solid business plan. This leads me to believe only entrepreneurs apply to those that venture off to start their own business. So the term that some organizations utilize to drive creativity within their firms, I take it would be wrong when addressing it as "entrepreneurial". What are organizations without creative minds that truly change the world with their ideas? I believe you can be an entrepreneur without employing individuals yourself. If the organization you work with has created an environment of where individuals matter and encourage them that they can help change the world, why should they not be considered an entrepreneur?

Two questions I would ask the author
  1. If I talk a friend who has a great idea to venture off to start our own business because I personally can see the value or future value or positive impact this idea could have on the communities. Would I be considered an entrepreneur in this business venture or would it only apply to the individual who came up with the idea? Clearly from my above reflections I am not quite on the same page as the author with regards to definition of entrepreneurs.
  2. How can a business build intrapreneurship without jeopardizing their own businesses by possibly losing the talent that is being innovative to become an entrepreneur? I ask because how do you stay innovative and build an environment with creative juices flowing without fearing the loss of the talent that produced the ideas. I would think it would be hard to overcome that obstacle or is it all about risk?

No comments:

Post a Comment